We’ve had a great week here at Jane Antonovich Designs--Janice (super-fab photographer) and I spent a morning taking photos of a couple of completed Feng Shui projects--can’t wait to show you--here she is, in ACTION!
If you’re following--every month this year we are focusing on a different area of your home.
Catch up here:
Jan--Master Suite Apr--Linen Closet
Feb--Kitchen May--Kids Stuff
Mar--Family Room June - The Garage
Get ready for your organizing sessions this month by gathering bags or boxes for throw, recycle, donate and shred categories. Turn the damn phone off :) Set the timer for 30 minutes and GO!
Week #1: YOUR DESK
- Clear the desk top (Yes, I know this might mean putting papers on the floor, in a box, basket, etc.) Get the top clear first, clean it and then very intentionally decide what goes back on. Keep your desk top clear and simple. Include one beautiful item--perhaps a flower or photo of loved ones. (I have crystals.) Now you have SPACE to get work done and be creative.
- Desk drawers--Clear out everything, keep only the supplies you REALLY need and use. The rest can be donated. Perhaps you will need a drawer organizer to keep things in their place.
Weeks #2 and #3: THE PAPERS!
Piles of papers and/or your file cabinet--usually stuck and stuffed with old and irrelevant items--are the nemesis of most offices.
- Work on papers in sections--maybe 10 files at a time or one manageable stack at a time so you aren’t overwhelmed.
- Get REAL about what you’re saving and WHY you’re saving it. Of course there are certain financial papers and vital records that need to be kept. But, more and more, utilities, bank statements, health records, etc. are/can be stored digitally giving you a lot of relief in the “paper-keeping” department.
Be Ruthless! This is a place where you can create a HUGE shift.
I am going out on a limb…
Consider that you may only need ONE small file drawer to keep your most important records--the ones with an embossed seal, like your passport :)
Week #4 Shelves/Closets/Cupboards
- You may need the last week to finish the papers, or go on vacation, OR clear out any shelves, cupboards or closets in the office that need attention.
- How much “backup supply” are you keeping? Is it necessary?
- Look over the books and BINDERS!!!! So many binders with outdated conference info in them. Am I right?
- Edit, refresh, and then organize what remains keeping “like with like” and remembering that your most useful items need to be accessible. Put occasional use items in the back or on the top.
Think through your most irritating office dilemma...
One of my clients said, “It’s the smattering of stuff all over the house that needs to be filed--child’s immunization records, car insurance cards, my new work license.”
- First, does it really need to be kept? Really? Ok, then...
- Second, create a place to capture items to be filed. A tray, desk sorter or special file. Then (and this is where it gets tricky…) take 5 minutes once a week and file LIKE A BOSS!
Once your office is clear, please take time to celebrate! Dance, Sing, Green Tea and Chocolate? (I’m sure you have your own version!)
Now you have a place that supports your work and your life. A place to get things done and be creative without distraction!
Next, we can go further with a gorgeous Feng Shui design to keep the chi moving UP, UP, UP! A fresh coat of paint? Upgraded art for the walls? A comfortable desk chair?
Let me know if you would like support in any phase of your office uplevel journey--Kelly and I are here for you!
Lots of Love,
Register early, space is limited!
Janice Laufenberg and Me (taking a picture of her!)