- ALL 8-Track tapes, Beta tapes and (if you’re really brave), Cassette and VHS tapes. Check out the AWESOME service at www.greendisk.com. All you have to do is box up these and any other items from the list on their site, print off the shipping label, and mail them off! They are affordable, reputable and dispose of everything in the most eco-friendly way possible. I have happily used their services many times.
- EXTRA coffee mugs, you know, the ones you don’t EVER use!!!! They are gobbling up space in your kitchen. Out they go to charm someone else.
- ALL of your Product Manuals. Often they collect in drawers or WAY BACK in the file cabinet wedging in and causing major annoyance. If you need advice about an appliance or gadget you have purchased, go to the website! All product websites have their instruction manuals on a separate tab and most bigger companies have live support. Or check out www.productmanuals.com . They also have a HUGE selection of manuals as resources.
- Any tubs or boxes of college, high school, (middle school???) papers, report cards, and notebooks. Maaaaaybe you’ll save a handful of them (your Senior Project, Master’s Thesis?), as special mementos, but the rest? Gotta go!
- Cords and chargers that are obsolete...send them with the 8-Tracks in the www.greendisk.com box. With the short life of electronics, I often find a drawer or even large tub (or two...) of unused cords in the homes of my clients. Client quote: “If those cords (tangle of dozens in an attic box) aren’t attached to something, we must not need them!”
- The DRESS, JEANS, (fill in the blank) in your closet that are too tight. Just get rid of them!
- Magazines! (and their sexy sisters: catalogues) If they are not the current month, they’re out! No, there is no rule that says you can’t recycle them until you read them :)!!! Just think of the joyful, happy people at the retirement community, day care center, or library when you deliver your HUGE stacks to their door.
- Business cards! Buy the CamCard app on your phone for $0.99 You. Will. Be. Amazed.
- Junk Mail. All of it.
Here’s your challenge:
Step away from the computer...time yourself, and go do one of the 9 items on the above list. And then, check in with us in the comments below. What did you do? How long did it take? AND...how do you feel?
Photo Credit: csp10164960