Here’s the list of what we did in the office:
- Sorted unfiled papers on the desk and table
- Created files for new business and banking
- Shredded old bank statements and other sensitive materials
- Went through entire file system from front to back to determine relevance
- Labeled new files (my labeler is a DYNO--some of you have asked)
- Created small “to-do” pile
- Organized tax materials for accountant
- Designated a tray on the desk for receipts and incoming checks
Here are some of my productivity suggestions:
- Digitize bills and request paperless statements--reduce incoming paper
- Do not put mail on counter or desk until you’ve walked over to the recycle bin first to immediately sort out the discards
- Photograph business-related receipts, email them to yourself and save in a tax folder, on Dropbox or Evernote.
- Download app for remote check deposit--saves running to the bank
- Plan on the calendar an “administrative session” once a week to log pertinent miles, receipts, income and expenses
- Consider Paypal or Square Register to accept credit cards for business transactions.
Then we moved on to what she called “the bokashi factory” in the basement. (I get to learn about so many cool things when I work with clients. If you’re into composting, but don’t have the space or weather conditions to make it happen outside, check this out...efficient, non-smelly and fun!)
Here’s what we did in the basement:
- Cleared and designated one shelf for business-related items, shipping and supplies for fermenting--everything handy and on shelves by category
- Moved her work table to a convenient working position
- Recycled, donated and trashed unrelated items which were getting in the way of production
This organizing magic was accomplished in just one afternoon. Laura was happy, relieved and ready for anything :) as I pulled out of the driveway. A wonderfully satisfying afternoon for both of us!
If you could use some support to supercharge your productivity or just get you organized so you can find your keys, charger, money, tools and shoes in the morning...give me a call, I would LOVE to help!