Our June Q is a good one! And, one that I answer all the time--maybe it applies to you, too.
Q: What are the Feng Shui principles regarding family photos in my bedroom? ~ Lisa
A: Hi, Lisa!
Thanks for your question, it’s one that I answer and speak to often--just this week as a matter of fact (Hi, Amy!)
If you have a gorgeous pic or two of you and your sweetie (husband, wife, partner, SO) in your bedroom that’s awesome, no worries there…
If you have your children, your parents, or other random family members’ pics in the bedroom, it’s time to reconsider.
In Feng Shui terms, your bedroom is for rest, rejuvenation, and connecting intimately. So, random family pictures hanging or propped up on the dressers will have the effect of too many people in the bedroom WATCHING you. Plus, they are not just people, they are your family, double uncomfortable!!!! And, NOT conducive to relaxation and intimacy.
Instead, here’s what I recommend:
- Gather ALL the family photos from around the house
- Intentionally choose the ones that lift your spirits and make you smile
- Add, subtract or resize accordingly.
- Have fun finding frames to fit--look at the thrift shops, Home Goods, TJMaxx.
- Find a wall in the center or center left of your home in a hall, or wall of a “family room” that can accommodate your collection.
- Pick the most powerful picture, maybe you and your family RIGHT NOW, having TONS OF FUN together!
- Use that special picture as the central focus--radiate the other pics out from there. Extra Credit: As much as possible, have the faces in the photos FACING into the center.
- Lay all of the pictures out on the floor--as if you were hanging them on the wall. Measure the space and transfer it to the floor so you can see what will fit.
- Then either install shelves or free form the pictures on the wall to make a beautiful gallery...
This is a powerful way to display and honor your family. Far more dynamic than small pictures dotted all over the house.
I hope this helps, Lisa! Let me know how your finished project turns out--I would love a picture!
If you’d like support to create a gorgeous family wall--let me know, I would love to assist!
Lots of Love,